shells in your pocket header  photo homecopy_zpsfb4a2569.png photo about_zps830e372c.png photo hello_zps830e372c.png photo kitchen_zps99b973df.png photo homeschooling_zpsa379c641.png photo linklove_zpsc7adec01.png

Spaghetti Squash(no pasta needed!)




I have been slowly REALLY changing things up with our eating at home.  It's been slow but steady.  I have enjoyed reading and trying new recipes from a variety of blogs and books.
  Some are great and some are total flops!  Last week, while sitting at my co-op one of the moms was talking about how she LOVES spaghetti squash with marinara sauce.
  She had me almost convinced after we were done talking that is was better than real pasta.

So in midst of a huge FORECAST of snow (which means chaos at the grocery store and bare shelves), I asked Mr. Sandy Toes to go out and get me spaghetti squash...he actually likes grocery shopping but not if I give him a long list.  
But, he likes a few items and then he usually adds to it:)!  He even sent me pictures of the shelves...there were NO bananas (not one!) and no bread!  But, guess what? They had spaghetti squash.

So I tried it with a simple jar of marinara sauce and a few turkey meatballs to go on top!  It was pretty good!  Now all those people out there that says it's just like pasta---I don't think so but it's pretty good replacement (better than whole wheat pasta to me)! 

 It is a good substitution which is light and healthy. It's amazing that when you cut out all the junk food and high carb meals...healthy food starts to taste really good! 


Anyhow...this is what I did..
Spaghetti squash
Olive oil
Seasonings: Garlic, salt and pepper
Turkey meatballs 

Split the squash in half and take out the seeds.  I lined my pan with foil and seasoned my spaghetti squash with salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil.  I put it on my pan and baked at 450 for 40 minutes(flesh side down).  Took it out of the oven and let it cool.  After it was cooled, I scraped the squash into a bowl and tossed it with the sauce and meatballs.

It was very yummy and I would do it again.  I know some people cook spaghetti squash in their crock pot all day but the oven was easy too!

No comments: