shells in your pocket header  photo homecopy_zpsfb4a2569.png photo about_zps830e372c.png photo hello_zps830e372c.png photo kitchen_zps99b973df.png photo homeschooling_zpsa379c641.png photo linklove_zpsc7adec01.png

REST...coming away from the homeschool convention!



Rest.

For me that was the *theme* of last weekend at the home school convention....I think every speaker at one point said that word...some of them even used the word to title their presentation.

Rest.

Honestly, as I sit in front of this computer and I am on the verge of ending school for the year and all the co-ops we participated in...it's the perfect word for me. There is so much "swirling" around this homeschooling momma's brain that just saying that word slows down my pulse a bit.

Of course, the speakers were not talking about resting and summer vacation.  They were talking about *rest* right dab in the middle of homeschooling...like in October and February!  Resting in the Lord...as one speaker said "Drinking from the fountain of fresh water everyday"...going to God's Word for my strength and direction in my home school day.

Usually coming away from a convention, I am totally pumped about curriculum, schedules, new books and new methods and ideas to try on my kids. As one friend said it, she becomes the "Nazi" home school mom after convention b/c she tries to implement everything she learned the next week.
I don't know if I am completely just worn out from an extremely busy year of teaching my kids and lots of other kids at co-ops OR my perspective is changing slowly.

Because "Resting" sounds good to me and I am learning through my thick head of mine that there is no curriculum, no method, no book that will make my homeschooling something of "success" but God's Word.  Goodness, I fail everyday...every hour...every minute...I can't do any of this on my own  and walking away from the convention reminded me of that.  How I get so "sucked" up into worrying and fretting about Algebra, future ACT scores, college entrance even cursive handwriting..it's crazy!

But, when I finally sit down and *REST* in God's Word and His provisions for me...I am reminded that none of that is important...NONE!  Yes, my kids need an education...they have their own dreams and talents but whatever they become or do...I want them to first *REST*in the Lord and out of their heart will flow rivers of living water. One speaker in particular said this over and over again...I sat in that chair and tears were just rolling down my cheek.

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."John 7:38

The only way rivers of living water will flow out of me is by going to God's Word and spending time with Him(Instead of worrying about curriculum, dinner, clean house and calendars)!The reality is that my kids will go off and become what they are suppose to become...in spite of my failures, weaknesses and lack thereof. Algebra problems will one day be a thing of the past and the literature essay that I fretted over for hours with my son will soon be forgotten....but how they live every day with their Savior is forever.  FOREVER.

I always find "hope" in the fact that many of the people in the Bible screwed up in many ways...for example, David had a multitude of sins and definitely wouldn't of won the "Family Man of the Year Award" but yet it is written that he was a man after God's own heart.

"And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will." Acts 13:22

There is hope for me...a home school mom who screws up all the time and fails to forget that she cannot do this on her own. I need to diligently open my Bible everyday and "drink" from it as my source of strength.

The fact is I didn't find any amazing curriculum this year but just a BIG reminder to...


REST. 


  photo signature_zps50f9e3fe.png

No comments: